>> Children die after taking paraceamol in Bangladesh
Industry News :
22 children die after
taking paracetamol in Bangladesh
Dhaka: Authorities in
Bangladesh said on Wednesday they had begun an investigation
into the deaths of 22 children who consumed paracetamol syrup,
amid fears it may have been mixed with a toxic substance.
Health minister ABM Ruhul Haq said a medicine factory in the
eastern district of Comilla, near where most of the “unusual
deaths” had occurred, had been shut down until further notice.
“We have formed a probe body, which includes top paediatricians
and medicine experts, to find out what actually caused the
deaths,” he said.
One of the country’s leading paediatricians, AR Khan, said
the 22 children had died of kidney failure, including 17 at the
Dhaka Children’s Hospital where he is based, and the rest at a
separate clinic in the capital. All were aged between one and
five, he said.
“All of them hail from Comilla and its neighbouring
districts and were brought to the capital when they became ill.
All of them died in the past month,” he said. “They showed
similar symptoms and their renal systems failed after taking
Mizanur Rahman, managing director of Rid Pharmaceuticals,
told The Daily Star that soon after getting the orders for
sealing, he has withdrawn the paracetamol suspension and vitamin
from the market, though he claimed not to use any harmful
compound in his products. AGENCIES